About Rosecrans

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /home/rhs1955/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 879.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::init() should be compatible with views_handler::init(&$view, $options) in /home/rhs1955/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 0.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /home/rhs1955/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 0.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /home/rhs1955/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 0.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_boolean_operator::value_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::value_validate($form, &$form_state) in /home/rhs1955/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter_boolean_operator.inc on line 0.

 

Rosecrans High School

Bishop Rosecrans High School, located in Zanesbille, Ohio was founded in 1950. Rosecrans is a high school providing a quality Catholic education for young people to strengthen their faith. The school serves families in Muskingum, Guernsey and Perry counties. Rosecrans has develoed into a thriving instituion with a reputation for scholastic and athletic excellence. It has seen a significant portion of its alumni not only go to college but become leaders who have contributed greatly to their professions, their communities and country.

Rosecrans was formed in 1950 when St. Thomas and St., Nicholas high schools were merged. In 1970 the school broke ground on a new education wing (pictured at left) which featured a new indoor swiming pool.

Visit the Rosecrans Website at: www.rosecrans.cdeducation.org

 

Bishop Sylvester Rosecrans - the School's Namesake

Sylvester Rosecrans, the brother of Civil War general William Rosecrans, was born in Homer, Ohio February 5, 1827. He was sent to Kenyon College, the leading Escopalian institution in the state. While there in 1845 he received a letter from his brother, William, then a professor at West Point, announcing his conversion to the Catholic faith. The letter impressed Sylvester deeply and he sought instruction and became a Catholic.

 

       

    Patron of the School

He then went to St. John's College in Fordham, New York, graduating there in 1846. Electing to study for the priesthood in Rome he was ordained a priest in 1852. Returning to Cincinnati he officiated at St. Thomas church and was a professor in the diocesan seminary. In 1859 a college was opened in connection with the seminary and he was made its president.

When the Diocese of Columbus was created in 1868, he was transferred to that See as its first bishop. With few parishioners and fewer dollars, he founded Mount Carmel and set out to build a cathedral which took over 10 years to complete.

Concern for the poor, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, led to enlightened social programs uncommon for the times. The completion of the cathedral became a constant theme and a constant stress of his ministry. Finally, St. Joseph's Cathedral was dedicated on October 20, 1878.  Following the dedication and while celebrating the evening hour of vespers with his priests, he suffered a cerebral hemorrhrage and died the next day.